Without explicit medical approval and supervision, iontophoresis should never be used on patients:
- with a pacemaker
- with an ICD ( implantable cardioverter-defibrillator)
- who are pregnant
- who have an IUD containing metal
- with metal implants near the region where the current is to be applied
- with major skin defects/wounds that cannot be covered with Vaseline
- with strongly limited sensitivity in the area of current flow (e.g. polyneuropathy)
- with major wounds, acute local infections, rash, swelling, or local inflammation
- Do NOT apply the electric current directly to the chest, the brain, or the sinus cavities!
- with suspected or diagnosed heart disease or epilepsy.
The following side effects may be experienced in the areas treated for a short time after treatment:
- mild dysesthesia (sensory disturbance), such as tingling or burning sensation
- short-term skin irritation (redness) after treatment
- erythema (redness, short-term vesicles or blisters)
- slight burns due to prolonged, direct contact with the electrode
- The treatment device may only be operated with the HIDREX power adapter designed specifically for this medical device (HIDREX type plate with device number corresponding to the control device).
- The treatment electrodes must always be covered by the supplied towels, otherwise burns may occur. Avoid direct contact with the metal!
- Two devices should not be used on one patient at a time.
- Before treatment, remove metallic jewellery (rings, etc.) that would be in the water bath during treatment; otherwise, slight burns may occur.
Important safety instructions
- Place the treatment device on a firm, flat surface.
- Make sure that the device is at room temperature when switched on.
- Although it is safe to remove your hands or feet from the treatment water at any time, you should first reduce the voltage to zero. In very rare cases, unpleasant electric shocks1 could occur.
- The device must not be used near shortwave or microwave treatment devices. The minimum distance should be 2 metres.
- When plugged in, check that your power supply has the required 110-230 V~ at 50-60 Hz.
- Disconnect the AC adapter from the wall outlet when a thunderstorm approaches. Do not use the treatment device for extended periods.
- Only use this device indoors. Do not expose it to rain or excessive moisture.
- Before cleaning, switch off the device and disconnect all plugs. Use a soft, damp cloth and a mild cleaning solution to clean the device.
- Do not use petroleum, thinner, alcohol, wax remover, or other solvents.
- Do not bend the cables excessively and do not expose the cables to heat or chemicals. If a cable is damaged, remove it from the device and have it checked by Hidrex GmbH.
- Do not open the device. This treatment device has no parts inside that you can adjust. All service work must only be carried out by Hidrex GmbH.
- Wash the supplied towels regularly with your household linen (note the care instructions on the tag).
1These shocks are uncomfortable but absolutely harmless.